Saturday 28 June 2008

Summer Weddings

My friend Brigitt emailed me a few weeks ago asking me what to wear to a wedding in June. I decided that since this is the biggest time of the year for weddings, and weddings are one of the hardest things to decide what to wear, I'd give you all a few pointers. I'll use the wedding Brigitt is going to as an example.

Hers is in Napa in a vineyard at 2:00pm with the reception partying into the night. The weather there this time of year is about 80s during the day and 50s at night. Tricky, right? I suggested white pants, a colorful feminine top, metallic shoe and a wrap for the evening when it gets chilly. She was thrilled when I told her she could wear white pants! They are a beautiful classic that are really big this summer. There is nothing classier than a crisp white pant.

So that is one option for a daytime wedding, and another would be a flirty summer dress. DO NOT do black, sequins, or shiny fabrics during the day.

For the evening (5:00pm and after), you can do black...if you want to play it safe. However, there are so many other beautiful options for the summer (blue, green, fuchsia, purple), I'd steer away from black totally. For the evening, be sure you take the fabric of your dress up a notch. Go for a satin, or flowy silken or chiffon fabrics. DO NOT do pants for an evening wedding. And remember that accessories are as important as the outfit. So for a more simple dress, kick it up with a fab shoe, dramatic necklace, and cute metallic clutch...and whatever you do...don't forget your strapless bra!

4 comments:

annieck said...

Wow! I learned a lot on this one, Holly Bolly. NO black dresses for daytime weddings?! I've broken that rule more times than I can count. I am the black queen. I guess I need a totally new wardrobe. Would you please nominate me for "What Not to Wear"?
Thanks for the great tips. I have some weddings coming up. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself or my fam. ;)

holly said...

glad I could help! and NO, I won't nominate you for "What not to Wear." I know too many people that desperately need it, and YOU DON'T! I'll just keep giving you tips until you are a fashionista too!

Anonymous said...

I loved the pants idea! Maybe some dressy capris?

holly said...

Generally speaking, I'm against capris. You shouldn't wear them unless you are tall and have long legs. They cut your legs off and make you look short and stubby. Now, if you are long and leggy and want to wear capris to a wedding, I would say that is ok ONLY if they are part of a cute dressy summer suit.